Get insurance that protects you and your ponies
Every child tugs on their parent’s arm and begs for a pony ride at a fair or market in Ontario. For young children, pony rides are usually their first exposure to riding and for parents it’s a wonderful photo opportunity. Smiles all around.
But it also exposes you to a high risk of liability. You’re dealing with two unpredictable forces – ponies and young children. You want to protect the safety and wellbeing of both. You don’t want anyone, or any of the animals, to be hurt. You also want to avoid any property damages and opportunities for someone to sue you.
What you’ll discover in this report:
- Common claims that people make involving pony rides
- How you can plan ahead
- The coverage offered by a Commercial General Liability Policy
- Other types of insurance you should consider
What are the most common claim incidents?
- When trying to get near the ponies a child is hurt when he falls or trips. Or an adult trying to reach her child trips over something.
- While riding a pony a child falls or jumps and hurts themselves.
- A pony reacts to someone deliberately trying to scare it. It behaves in an unsafe way and damages property or injures someone.
- A scared pony gets loose in a public location causing damage to property or worse gets hit by a car or charges into people.
How can I plan ahead?
We know that you care about the ponies and the people that come for a pony ride. There are steps to take to make sure that an accident never happens in the first place.
1. Enforce rules.
Look around and develop rules for your environment for both horses and people. Also write procedures. Then train every staff member to make sure they understand your rules and procedures.
2. Plan for emergencies.
Emergencies happen, but the better prepared you are, the better chance you have of providing the proper care to all the horses. If you’re prepared you can minimize the severity of any accident.
3. Develop semi-annual inspections of your equipment.
By inspecting your equipment for potential hazards, you can take care of them before an incident occurs.
4. Prepare a written waiver and review Ontario’s Occupiers’ Liability Act.
Anyone who participates in any horse activities on your premises needs to complete and sign the waiver. Make sure that you keep the signed forms on file and safely stored. The Occupiers’ Liability Act states that the stable owner/operator owes a duty of care to the people who enter their premises. This assures that any property they bring on your premises with them is also reasonably safe. You are free to restrict, modify or exclude this duty of care through your written waiver.
5. Purchase an Equine Liability Insurance Policy.
Protect you and your business with an insurance company that knows horses and your business. You want to make sure that any legal feels are covered, claim costs and settlements to ensure that in the case of an accident, your business doesn’t suffer a financial loss.
What’s included in the Commercial General Liability Policy?
The policy gives you maximum limits or amounts of liability insurance for:
- Medical expenses: You can be sure a claimant’s low cost medical expenses are covered without a lot of questions about liability or responsibility.
- Legal defense costs: You can save your business the financial burden of court costs if you’re sued, whether the case has merit or not.
- Claims or settlement costs: Without this policy you could be held responsible for bodily injury and property damage claims.
Are there other coverages I should consider?
- Property Coverage Endorsement: We can add this endorsement to your General Liability Policy if you’re a stable property renter to insure your tack, equipment and machinery for loss or damage.
Ponies fascinate children and parents want to enjoy their children’s experiences. Because you love children and animals, you love to provide this service. But it puts you at risk. Call Henry Equestrian Insurance Brokers Ltd and we’ll make sure that you’re protected. Or you can simply click on Get a Free Quote and we’ll get to work to make sure that you’re fully protected for a fair price.